KIGACONS website is getting fixed up so that everyone has an easier time finding what they need. Once the site is updated if you are still having trouble contact us and let us know what would help you. We are happy to help everyone. We want to know what we can do better. so let us know under the Contact us Tab.
KIGACON 2018 theme has been determined to be superheroes
We are pleased to announce our final guest, EmpathP, AKA Aki Glancy! The current manager and sponsor of Vocamerica, she will be putting on a Vocaloid concert on the Friday night of Kigacon, March 17. We look forward to seeing you all there!
We are pleased to announce two more guests for Kigacon 2017, Jennifer Cihi and Stefanie DeLeo!
A veteran actor and voice actor, Jennifer Cihi is the original English singing voice of Sailor Moon, among a host of other roles and experiences, and attends conventions all over the United States performing the iconic Sailor Moon songs.
Stefanie DeLeo is a published playwright and novelist, and she has been a guest at comic cons all over the US and Europe where she loves running panels on how to navigate the publishing industry as well as the legality of publishing fan fiction.
These two will be hosting a variety of panels and events at Kigacon, so be sure to keep an eye on the website as we finalize the schedule!
We are pleased to officially announce Paul St. Peter as one of our special guests at Kigacon 2017! He has been here in cons past, and is coming back this year!
Paul St. Peter is a voice actor from Los Angeles whose many anime and video game credits include KINGDOM HEARTS (Xemnas), NARUTO (Nine Tail Fox), and ONE PUNCH MAN (Beast King), to name but a few. He will be hosting panels on a variety of subjects, so keep an eye out for the schedule of events on kigacon.com as it is updated and finalized in the coming weeks!
We welcome cosplaying at Kigacon, and look forward to seeing what cool outfits you all have to show off. But safety is also important, so please read over the following rules to ensure we all have a safe, fun con experience.
Cosplay Prop Check Rules
Props will be judged on a case-by-case bases. All props must be checked and tagged at the prop check, located next to the registration area.
We cannot allow props that can get us in trouble with police. This includes but is not limited to:
-Airsoft guns (Loaded or unloaded)
-realistic guns (Loaded or unloaded)
-Live metal/steel (Sheathed or unsheathed)
In addition, we cannot allow any prop bigger than your person.
All decisions are final. Failure to follow the rules can, and will, result in prop confiscation or your removal from the con.
We thank you all for your compliance.
Open Mic Night- Continuing from last year's success, we are having an open-mic night at Kigacon, on Saturday, March 18 at 7:00pm in the Gaines Theater! Want to open a dialogue or debate about your favorite show? Show off your improv, freestyle, or stand-up skills? Sing some anime karaoke? At the open mic night, you're the star!
Some FAQ's have been,
Where do we park?
CNU has a visitors parking lot that is easily visible on campus. All parking is open after 530pm Friday. Kigacon is located in the Freeman Center, the building closest to Warwick Blvd. If you get lost, check our map for where to go!
What time does Kigacon start?
Registration opens at 4pm Friday, and Kigacon is officially open at 5pm. Opening Ceremonies are at 5:30pm.
Kigacon is over at 10:30pm Friday and Saturday.
When can Vendors load-in?
Vendors may start showing up at 3pm. Vendors can arrive later if needed, but it is recommended to arrive earlier rather than later.
Are there any restaurants nearby?
Directly across the street from the Freeman Center is a variety of restaurants including:
Moe's Southwest Grill, Tropical Smoothie, Subway, 7-11, Bob Bob Korean Grill and Kitchen, Yogurtini and Panera Bread.
We will be taking donations for the Peninsula SPCA at 523 J Clyde Morris Blvd, Newport News, VA 23601
Our goal this year is $200, and we will also be taking gently used or new blankets and toys. The donation bucket will be located at the registration desk.
A heads up for anyone confused about registration. You do not need to pre-register to get our bottom dollar prices. Kigacon is still $20 no matter when you buy your tickets.
Same goes with vendors. If you would still like to be a vendor, you are welcome to pay at the door, there is no difference in pricing.
That's right! It's not too late to enter our AMV contest. The cut off date is March 1, 2017
Here are the rules:
1. The categories will be
In the event of there being less than 4 trailers, the trailers submitted will be moved into the category most closely related to subject matter. Categories that do not receive at least 4 entries may be merged with their nearest counterpart; for details on how this may work, SEE THE BRACKETS BELOW. That is, if there are not enough entrants within each category, we will combine them into the category next closest in the parenthesis bracket. If you submitted to more than one category, and categories you submitted to end up merged, both your entries will still be counted, provided they both become finalists.
(((Action, Upbeat/Dance) (Trailers, Comedy/Parody)), (Drama, Romance/Sentimental))
2. Please ensure your video is in one of the following resolutions.
720x480 (MPEG 1 & 2 Exclusive, See rule 4)
3. We accept the following frame rates: 23.976, 24, 29.97, 30 and 60. If your submission is not in one of those, it will be rejected outright.
4. Please only submit in 720x480 if you plan to encode in MPEG or MPEG-2. Entrants submitting in this format and at this resolution are encouraged to submit in 4:3 Flagged MPEG-2, at either 29.97 fps, or 23.976 with 3:2 pulldown selected (see Scintilla’s guide for the best way to do this. If widescreen footage is used, follow the guide on how to letterbox it). If you are encoding in MPEG-2, please encode your audio as MPEG-1 Layer 2 or AC3. MP3s, WAVs, and others will not work and we will be forced to convert them.
5. We accept the most file formats and methods of compression, however, we will not accept .mov or .wmv files. If you are using Windows Movie Maker, please output to AVI. If we are unable to convert to .MPG, we will attempt to contact you.
6.There is a file-size limit of 2 Gigabytes.
7. No studio bumpers or official logos. If we can’t remove it, and you can’t get us a clean version, the video is disqualified.
8. No audio from the official English dubs.
8. No nudity, or excessive gore/violence. Keep it PG-13.
9. Run time may be anywhere between 1 minute and 6 minutes. This will be strictly enforced.
10. Each entrant is permitted a single entry per category.
11. Acceptable footage includes Anime and Japanese Video Game footage. ‘American’ anime such as Afro Samurai, Animatrix, etc. is accepted, so long as it is at least partially animated by a Japanese Animation Studio.
12. Audio must be primarily music and may not include excessive dialogue/narration. The exception is videos that qualify as “trailers.”
13. Entries will be sent through an upload site such as DropBox, or through the AnimeMusicVideos.org catalog. With the exception of AnimeMusicVideos.org, one should not have to register or pay anything to be able to download a video. If we find it’s behind a
registration wall/paywall, we will ask for another link. If you do not provide one, you will be disqualified.
14. Entrants who knowingly attempt to circumvent these rules will have ALL of their submissions disqualified.
15. Videos will be accepted regardless of past victories in other contests, as long as they have been made between March 24th 2015 and March 24th 2016. NO ANTI-TROLLING RULE!
16. We reserve the right to reject any video for any reason whatsoever.
How to Enter:
Send your submissions to email@example.com with the subject line “AMV CONTEST ENTRY 2016.” If you do not submit it with that subject line, there is no guarantee we will enter it. Videos should contain either the studio name or the name you want to appear on the ballot, followed by a dash and a video title, like this: “Studio name – Video"
In your email, include a link to download your video, and a TEXT FILE (that means .txt)
containing the following:
Name (Please use your real name)
Category desired (we reserve the right to change this)
Email (again, this is in case we have to contact you. We will not give away your email for any
Are you attending the con? (Y/N).
We will email you when we have received and tested your entry to play on our system. The later you send your entry, the later we will get back to you. If you send at the last minute, you will NOT receive confirmation until after the deadline has passed, and there may not be time to resubmit if something goes wrong!
Contestants found to be falsifying information will be disqualified AND permanently banned from this contest.
Awards include first place in each category, Best in Show, and Coordinators choice.
Each category winner, along with Coordinators Choice, shall receive a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com. No runner up prizes.
NOTE: PRIZES SHALL ONLY BE AWARDED TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS! .
If we receive too many entries to screen during our allotted time, finalists shall be determined by a panel of four judges, including myself. Judges shall be barred from voting in the final contest.
Entrees will be examined based on originality, editing skill, video/audio output quality, and entertainment value.
As stated above, if we do not receive at least 4 entries in a category, it will be merged with the next “nearest” category.
Kigacon 2016 is looking for vendors interested in being part of the festivities!
$20 for artist tables
$25 for small vendors
$50 for large vendors
Check back in December to register as a vendor! Attendee registration will open February 2016